- This event has passed.
TCJACL- Twin Cities JACL 75th Anniversary Celebration
October 8, 2022
Please mark your calendars and join us at the Twin Cities JACL 75th Anniversary Celebration
Saturday, October 8, 2022 at the Historic Fort Snelling new Visitor Center
- 2:00 pm Frank Abe, noted author of the graphic novel, We Hereby Refuse, will give a presentation, “Resistance to the Japanese American Incarceration in WWII.”
- Free and open to the public
- 4:00 pm 75th Anniversary Celebration check-in begins.
- Newly Renovated Visitor Center exhibit areas open for exploring
- 4:30 pm Boutique Sale begins – proceeds to benefit the Social Justice Committee
- Book signing by Frank Abe
- 5:30 pm Bento Box dinner
- 6:00 pm Program – includes:
- Guest appearance by Frank Abe
- Acknowledgments of past presidents and other special guests
- Preview of the play, Fire in the New World, the third installment of Rick Shiomi’s hit noir-style detective comedies featuring Sam Shikaze
Cost: Free for Nisei TCJACL members, $15 per person for TCJACL members, and $20 for non-members.
Bento Boxes: Choose between Saba Shioyaki (grilled mackerel), Chicken Teriyaki, or Vegetarian
RSVP by: Thursday, September 15 (Early deadline requested by restaurant J K’s Table to ensure that they have ordered enough food.)
Frank Abe is co-author of the new graphic novel on Japanese American resistance to wartime incarceration, We Hereby Refuse (Chin Music Press: A Wing Lake Museum book). He won an American Book Award for John Okada: The Life & Rediscovered Work [Okada is the author of No-No Boy (University of Washington Press)], and made the award-winning PBS documentary, Conscience and the Constitution, on the largest organized camp resistance. Frank is currently co-editing an anthology for penguin Classics on The Literature of Japanese American Incarceration.