Each year, the TCJACL Education Committee presents the Power of Truth Teacher Award in remembrance of:
- 120,000 American civilians of Japanese descent forced to leave their homes during World War II and
- 30,000 Japanese American WWII soldiers who served either in military intelligence or fought with the 100/442nd RCT
Any parent, student, or colleague (or teachers themselves) can nominate a Minnesota educator in grades K-12 (not limited to a classroom teacher) they feel goes beyond the required Minnesota curriculum standards in teaching about the Japanese American experience during WWII.
- Teach about Japanese American World War II experience beyond required Minnesota curriculum guidelines
- Inspire youth to protect democratic ideals, to promote tolerance of our diverse American citizenry, and to prevent violations of constitutional rights from occurring again
Nominations are due by June 15 of each year and the winner will be announced that fall. Winners will be honored with a monetary award and recognized at our chapter’s Fall Banquet.
There are two ways to nominate a teacher (please choose one):
- Option 1: Apply online below
- Option 2: Download the nomination form and send it in
For more information or to request a nomination form be sent to you, please contact Sally Sudo at firstname.lastname@example.org or (952) 835-7374.